Monday, May 31, 2010

Can you REALLY play football???

The major sport here is some good old fashioned football (yes, its a ball you kick with your foot...how did American's come up with the word soccer). If you can play it, you rock. If you are a teacher and you can play it....you are a hero (not me). Being that I don't understand the concept of foot-eye coordination, even the small students had amazing skills in my eyes. They could create a game of football with everything from a rock to a tiny pencil sharpener. I rarely saw them get to play with an actual football. I have no idea how to control a tennis ball or cricket ball with my feet...but these kids sure do!

1 comment:

mushroomed said...

I learned footy in Godavari. we used to roll up socks and play in changing rooms, tennis courts, handball courts basically everywhere. One of the main events of the year was when lads from St Xavier's Jawalakhel ( home nurtured brats - we were the disciplined boarders ) came to Godavari for mental arithmetic, english spelling bee and footy. We thrashed them all the time.
I remember playing with Laxman sir, Amar sir, Gurung sir - good old days.