Monday, May 31, 2010

Darjeeling....#2

A little more sightseeing around Darjeeling....
This is the Japanese Peace Pagoda built just outside of Darjeeling. The Japanese have built a number of these in different places around the world to promote peace, and in person they are really stunning.
The Ghoom Monastery is one of the oldest and most holy monasteries in the region. Although I'm not a Buddhists, the insides of the monasteries I have visited are something to appreciate. The artistic ability and detail in the paintings, carvings, and wall hangings are incredible.
Both of these pictures are from the main Hindu temple that sits on tip of the main hill in the center of Darjeeling. I think the pictures speak for themselves in showing the atmosphere and color.

I had to throw in one picture of myself so that you at least believed I went in person and didn't just take all these pictures off the internet (and no, I have no idea how to use photoshop). You can see in the background how big the city is and in the top left you can also see some of the mountains. And in January....it was FREEZING.
The people of Darjeeling and the surrounding area have been fighting to be an autonomous state for many, many years. I don't know much about the history, but from asking different people there has been a demand for Gorkhaland since the time of Indian independence. The region is currently part of the very large state of West Bengal and people are unhappy because they have no real voice in the government, plus things like the roads are falling apart.

My visit was great...even if I was alone. I couldn't believe how much of an influence still existed from the British. The area was nothing like the rest of India, but the people were friendly and the mountains were awesome so I was happy!

No comments: